The University of Siena Language Center (Centro Linguistico d'Ateneo or CLA), staffed by highly qualified linguistic experts (CEL), supports the teaching and learning of foreign languages throughout the university.
The Language Center organizes placement testing (mandatory for access to B1 and B2 level English exams), face-to-face lessons, language exams, and self-study courses, all at the disposal of the entire university community including students, professors, and administrative staff. Seminars regarding language teaching and research in the linguistic sphere, as well as training courses for language teachers, are also held.
The CLA coordinates the following:
- English language placement tests for all university first-year students
- Placement tests in various languages for international mobility scholarship candidates
- B1 level English exams (3 credits) mandatory for all undergraduate degree programs
- B2 level English exam (3 credits) mandatory for all master's degree programs
- Scientific English exam (4 credits) mandatory for degrees in the health sector
- B2 level scientific English exam mandatory for master’s degree programs in the health sector
- B2+ level scientific English exam mandatory for the School of Specialization in Medicine
- Other foreign language exams included in curriculum
Blended courses, which integrate face-to-face lessons with online learning assisted by a tutor, are offered at different levels in preparation for exams, thanks to an excellent e-learning program on the “CLA Siena Online” platform. Students who are not able to attend face-to-face lessons can follow self-study online courses.
Our language laboratories for autonomous language learning in Siena (San Francesco, San Miniato, and San Niccolò buildings) and Arezzo are equipped with numerous books and multimedia material available to students.
We are an official exam center for PET, FCE, CAE and CPE University of Cambridge exams.
Courses for public and private entities are also organized through third party agreements.
Through the USiena Open Project, every year English courses are held which are aimed to improve the prospects in the workplace of students who have recently graduated.
Students can also add the following foreign language exams to their curriculum for extra credits:
- Chinese (in Arezzo)
The Language Center will issue a certificate attesting one's level to those students who decide to pass a foreign language exam which is not mandatory for their degree.