STUDENTS ENROLLED IN BACHELOR'S AND MASTER'S DEGREE PROGRAMS WHO HAVE THE B2 LEVEL ENGLISH EXAM AS A PREREQUISITE IN THEIR CURRICULUM
Students enrolled in the following courses: Economics and Banking, Economics and Management (undergraduate), Biotechnologies of Human Reproduction, Genetic Counsellors, Finance, Economics, International Accounting and Management, Chemistry, Dentistry, and European Studies (masters).
Students enrolled in our Bachelor's and Master's courses that are taught entirely in English, who are required to pass a level B2 (according to CEFR) English exam as a prerequisite, must present one of the international certificates accepted by the university to the Front Office of the Language Centre.
Those who have not been awarded an international certification should take the B2 level English exam at the Language Centre after their enrollment in the university. They do not need to pass a pre-test, but they do have to register for the B2 exam at the CLA Front office.
These students need to present a B2 level English certificate, or pass the internal B2 level exam (Idoneità) by January of their first academic year. They will not be allowed to take exams in their faculty until they reach the B2 level.
STUDENTS WHO DO NOT HAVE THE B2 LEVEL ENGLISH EXAM AS A PREREQUISITE
(Students enrolled in all other courses)
If you are attending a face-to face or blended B2 course, you will be enrolled in the exam directly by your teacher in the same semester, and do not need to register yourself. Those students that have passed a B2 course and would like to sit the exam at a later date need to register at the Language Center by the given deadlines.
If you are not attending a face-to-face or blended course and feel that your level of English is high enough (you should have, in any case, at least a B1 level), you can request direct admittance to the exam after passing a B2 pretest which must be booked online. Those students who pass the pretest can register for the exam the same morning in the same place in which the test was taken.
If you have already taken the B2 level English exam without passing it, you do not need to repeat the B2 pretest.
A self-study online course is available upon request for exam preparation.
You do not need to take the pretest and can register directly for the exam at the CLA Front Office if:
- You have already taken the B2 level English exam and have not passed it, or you have successfully attended a course in the previous semester without having sat the exam
- You are a first-year student enrolled in a degree course which requires the B2 level English exam as a prerequisite for the other assessments in your faculty (you must have already completed enrollment procedures in the university). The exam is a prerequisite for the following courses: Economics and Banking, Economics and Management (undergraduate), Biotechnologies of Human Reproduction, Genetic Counsellors, Finance, Economics, International Accounting and Management, Chemistry, Dentistry, and European Studies (masters).
- You have graduated from a secondary school with English as the medium of instruction, but you do not have one of the international certificates approved by the Language Center
Please note: If you have passed a BULATS, or an LCCI Jetset or Elsa B1 or B2 exam, you can be admitted directly to our exams without taking a pretest.
On June 12th and 14th 2019, the Language Center will hold a seminar which teaches strategies useful for studying for the both the Reading and Use of English components of the exam. Please see our homepage for further information.
- June 25th (paper-based): enrolment from May 20th to June 7th
- July 9th (computer-based) enrolment from June 17th to July 1st
- September 16th (computer-based) enrolment from August 26th to September 9th
- October 10th (computer-based) enrolement from September 12th to October 3rd
Please visit our homepage three days before the exam for confirmation of time and place.
The next PRETEST for the B2 level exams will take place on September 19th 2019 in Computer Lab 1 in Piazza San Francesco, 8.
You do not need to take the pretest if you are enrolled in a degree course in English which requires B2 level as a prerequisite.
If you have booked a test and are unable to attend, please remember to cancel your appointment (in order to allow other students to book), otheriwise you will not be allowed to reserve a place the next time.
The B2 level English exam is similar to the Cambridge FCE (First Certificate in English) exam, but is composed of only two parts, Reading and Use of English. A minimum of 60% (the average of the two parts) is necessary in order to pass the exam.
An hour is allowed for the completion of the first part:
Reading: 3 reading exercises (30 questions)
- Part 1: reading comprehension, with questions and multiple-choice answers (8 questions, 2 points each)
- Part 2: completion of an article by inserting the given sentences (7 questions, 2 points each)
- Part 3: reading of a text and associating the given sentences with the people referred to (15 questions, 1 point each)
45 minutes are allowed for the completion of the second part:
Use of English: 4 exercises (42 questions)
- Part 1: choose the correct word (among four options) to fill in the gaps in a text (12 questions)
- Part 2: complete an extract with 12 gaps
- Part 3: reading of a text and filling in the gaps with words derived from those in bold print (for example, “able” can become “ability” or “enable” or “disable”, etc.) (10 questions)
- Part 4: rewrite a sentence, using the given word, so that it has the same meaning as the first sentence (8 questions, 2 points each)
The B2 pretest is composed of:
- Questions with multiple-choice answers (grammar and vocabulary)
- Text to be completed, with multiple-choice answers (similar to “Use of English” part one from Cambridge FCE examination)
- Word formation exercises (similar to “Use of English” part three)
- Cloze test - text with gaps to be filled in with missing word (similar to “Use of English” part two)
45 minutes is allowed for the test.